by executive chef Jeff Seizer, Counting House at 21c Museum Hotel
“Chicken potpie is such a simple and rich winter treat!” Jeff says. “With minimal ingredients and not a ton of time, you can make really wholesome food. A fun idea is to make mini versions in muffin pans and freeze them before baking, so you can have them anytime you want.”
Prep Time: 60 minutes; pie dough will rest for 1 hour while fillings are prepared
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Yields: 6-8 servings
For the pie crust
2½ cups (12.5 oz./350g) all-purpose flour, divided
2 Tbsp. (25g) sugar
1 tsp. (5g) kosher salt; for table salt use same weight or half as much by volume
2½ sticks (10 oz./280g) unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pats (see note)
6 Tbsp. (3 oz./85ml) cold water
Note: Pat of butter is a single serving or portion of butter (weighs 5g)
For the chicken potpie base
2 large carrots, medium diced
2 stocks of celery, medium diced
1 large white onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 (of each) sprigs of: thyme, rosemary and sage
1 lb. chicken thigh, cubed
¼ cup of butter
¼ cup of flour
½ cup chicken stock
½ cup milk
¼ tsp. all-spice
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 egg for egg wash (add Tbsp. water)
- For pie crust: In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and pulse until the mixture forms into lima bean-size pieces. Slowly add ice water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, and pulse until the dough just comes together. It should be crumbly.
- Turn dough out on to a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball. Flatten into a disk with the heel of your hand. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. You want it to be moist, but not wet.
- Roll out dough to fit your pie pan; reserve dough for the top.
- For chicken potpie base: Start by sweating down the vegetables and herbs, add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the butter, melt the butter, add the flour, cook flour for 2 minutes. Add the stock and milk. Cook till the mix has thickened, add all-spice, salt and pepper to taste. Fold in ½ cup of cheddar cheese and cool.
- Blind bake the crust: Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Line pie shell with parchment paper, weigh down with pie weights, bake in oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Once baked, add the chicken mix. Use the remaining dough to top the pie. Add egg wash and decorate with toppings of your choice – I used poppy seeds, chili flakes and black sesame seeds. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with herbs.