These tiny strawberry-ginger-lime galettes pack a lot of flavor into an ultra-flaky crust, which is adapted from King Arthur Baking Company’s All-Butter Pie Crust, and uses high-quality salted European butter that yields a decadently rich exterior complemented by a sweet and tangy fruit filling. The surprise ingredient, graham cracker crumbs, help soak up and retain all the juices inside the galette.
Strawberry-Ginger-Lime Mini Galettes
Recipe and photo by Lauren V. Allen
Makes 8 galettes
2½ cups flour
1 tsp. salt
18 Tbsp. (2¼ sticks) very cold, salted European butter, divided
¼ to ½ cup ice water
1 lb. fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
1 thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 full sheets of graham crackers, crushed into a fine crumb
1 lime, juice and zest
8 tsp. cane sugar
¼ cup turbinado sugar
1 egg, for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and prepare your sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour and salt. Dice 16 tablespoons of butter into small cubes and cut into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two knives until butter is pea sized and scattered throughout. These pieces of butter make the crust flaky once cooked.
- With a fork or your fingers, start to slowly add in ice water while tossing flour mixture. Dough is ready when it holds together easily without crumbling. If it crumbles or is dry, slowly add more water and mix until it comes together.
- Roll dough into a ball and separate in half. Pat into two discs, wrap, and chill for 1 hour.
- Cut the remaining butter into 8 small cubes. Keep everything in separate bowls to prevent strawberries from macerating.
- When the dough is ready, roll out to about ⅛-inch thick and cut a 6-inch disc. Use a small bowl as your guide. Reroll the dough to cut more discs. Only do this 2 times so dough doesn’t get tough. Work quickly to keep butter cold.
- Once all your circles are cut, quickly build your galettes. Spread ½ teaspoon of graham cracker crumbs and ½ teaspoon of cane sugar at the center of the crust, leaving an inch border.
- Pile pieces of strawberry, about 3-4 whole berries’ worth, on top of the crumbs and sugar. Spread a small pinch of fresh grated ginger, another ½ teaspoon of sugar, and squeeze a few drops of lime juice over top of the strawberries. Top each with a cube of butter.
- Brush edges of dough with egg wash. Fold up edges and pinch to seal. Brush the outside of the crust with more egg wash and pat turbinado sugar onto it.
- Continue the process until all galettes are made.
- Chill prepared galettes in the fridge for about 15 minutes to cool the butter.
- Remove from the fridge and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden.
- Immediately transfer galettes to a cooling rack and grate lime zest over the top. Cool completely and enjoy!