Meals on Wheels of Durham supporters celebrated double achievements at Sunday’s open house: the program’s 40th anniversary in Durham County, and a newly empty waiting list.
Despite the threat of rain, about 80 people turned out at the bright blue and yellow Ross Road location. Executive Director Gale Singer Adland cut a rainbow-decked anniversary cake and gave tours to guests like County Commissioner Ellen Reckhow and Durham Economic Resource Center Director Jackie Brown. Anthony Garza and Elizabeth Shapiro-Garza of Paws on Durham shared information about their pilot program collecting donations of pet food for Meals on Wheels Durham so seniors no longer need to share meals with their pets.
All 501 seniors who have applied to Meals on Wheels Durham are now being served daily, Gale told attendees, thanks to dedicated staff, volunteers and donors, as well as Durham County Social Services and the Durham County Commissioners.
The food services allow elderly clients to maintain independent living as long as possible – and sometimes more. In the last two months, Meals on Wheels drivers have saved the lives of clients three times, Gale told us during the event. One driver heard cries for help from a woman who had fallen the night before and received medical help immediately. Another raised the alert on a dangerous, previously undetected gas leak inside the house.
The program needs more drivers, Gale says – if you’re interested, contact Annette Read at annette@mowdurham.org. Or provide a happy holiday via their Senior Santa Program, buying the gift of a set of towels, a fleece blanket or a warm scarf to be given to a Durham senior during the holiday season. To participate, contact Sharon Lawson at sharon@mowdurham.org.





