Farkas in America – a one woman show
A program with Austrian artist Johanna Beisteiner (recitation, guitar, singing, flamenco dance) recounting the life of Jewish Austrian comedian Karl Farkas as a refugee in the USA (1938-46).
- satirical poems in English by Corinna Kahnke and Michelle Eley inspired by Farkas’ German poetry
- traditional Jewish music arranged by Ellen Whitaker (Durham)
- Viennese songs an Spanish music
- flamenco choreography by Maria-Luisa Rizo
- screening of the short jazz film Boogie Woogie Dream (USA 1944) with Lena Horne and Pete Ammons with a script by Farkas