A Night With Tchaikovsky
The Durham Symphony Orchestra Premieres a Tchaikovsky Symphony Lost to History
Concert Title: A Night with Tchaikovsky – The Classics You Haven’t Heard
At 7 PM on Sunday, November 5th, The Durham Symphony Orchestra, under the baton of Maestro William Henry Curry, will enchant audiences with a night of musical mastery and historical significance at The Carolina Theatre, located at 309 W Morgan St, Durham, NC 27701.
- World Premiere of Tchaikovsky/Rapée Symphonie Elegiaque. Witness the world concert premiere of this mesmerizing composition.
- Tchaikovsky Piano Trio – 1st Movement. Experience the composer’s most substantial chamber work, a touching memorial piece for his mentor, Nikolai Rubinstein.
- 130th Anniversary of Tchaikovsky’s Mysterious Death. November 6 marks the 130th anniversary of Tchaikovsky’s untimely demise, just ten days after conducting the premiere of his last symphony, the “Pathetique.”
- Guest Artists from UNC-Chapel Hill. Three gifted young musicians, coached by UNC-Chapel Hill orchestra conductor Tonu Kalam, will join the DSO, aligning with the orchestra’s mission to encourage and nurture local young talent.
- Tchaikovsky/Curry: Military March. The DSO premiered this work, originally for piano and adapted for large orchestra by Maestro Curry.
- Highlights from All Three Tchaikovsky Ballets: Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, and Sleeping Beauty.
- Praise for Tchaikovsky/Curry Military March: Read the review by cvnc.org critic Paul Williams here.